Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Artist Statement

Sometimes setting out to make art gives you that feeling you got as a teenager in the pit of your stomach, when your friends picked you up on Friday night, and you jumped into the car, and you knew your night might be exciting and full of laughter and maybe a little reckless.

Sometimes you need to create, like sometimes you need a good cry.

Sometimes creating is so relaxing, like getting up before everyone else in the house and having your coffee by yourself in the living room.

Sometimes all the stars align, like when the train shows up when you get on the platform.

Sometimes the double shift is the motivation.

It's not always the same, and it evolves or cycles, or winds, or just goes the way it should. Or it's terrible and you start again. The experiences are never the same but it's all necessary to find my way.


With my photography, I aim to show how seemingly unremarkable moments can be captivating and thought provoking. I find that looking at these candid moments can be the time when a subject reveals the most. I am interested in recording genuine interactions between people, their surroundings and objects, as well as how they grow and adjust to their environment. My aesthetic is influenced by photojournalism; I try to capture my subjects in moments of candor, so authenticity is not lost even within composed scenes. Authenticity is essential to what I hope to convey with my art.


No comments:

Post a Comment